Program Associate, Communications and Events Coordinator
Do you have a passion for public health in relation to advancing food systems and health equity in the State of Maine? MCD Public Health, a division of Medical Care Development, Inc., a non-profit health services organization in collaboration with Healthy Communities of the Capital Area (HCCA), is accepting applications for a Program Associate to support food systems and other public health communications and events. This position is located at the HCCA office in Gardiner and is a grant-funded position through June 2023 with potential for renewal and the potential for increased hours. The Program Associate position may be part-time (24 hours per week) with potential to move up to full-time (40 hours per week) and is eligible for MCD’s benefit package. Occasional statewide or out-of-state travel will be reimbursed. Currently, HCCA is implementing a hybrid work model in response to the COVID pandemic.
The Communications and Events Coordinator works closely with the Food Systems Project Coordinator and related HCCA staff to support the planning and implementation of Maine Farm and Sea to School Network, Maine Farm to Institution, and other organizational public health communication and event planning needs. The successful candidate will have strong organizational and project management skills and the ability to manage the logistics of several events and outreach projects. This individual will be able to work with a wide variety of people with diverse interests to efficiently implement shared goals and shared narratives.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in communications or health related field (nutrition, public health, community health education) is required; A degree in another field along with equivalent experience will be considered.
• Strong communications skills and ability to manage a variety of digital communication platforms
• Strong interest in network building and organizational promotion and visibility
• Strong collaboration skills; ability to interact effectively with diverse constituents, remotely and in-person
• Excellent public speaking, writing, and organizational skills in different professional formats: in person, phone, email, text, social media
• Creative thinker
• Ability to work independently with little direct supervision
• Willing to work within a team and engage all team members
• Diverse people skills relating to farm and food system professional environments
• Strong interpersonal and group problem solving skills
• Self-starter who enjoys new challenges
• Ability to prioritize tasks and manage workload and deadlines
• Comfortable working in a fast-paced non-profit environment
• Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, Google Drive and Google Apps, Zoom, Squarespace website management, Constant Contact or MailChimp, Facebook and/or other social media outlets, and marketing materials development using Canva or other design platform
• Experience managing and delivering communications content to a diverse audience
• Experience developing communication materials, including flyers, brochures, booklets, social media posts, short videos, etc. utilizing easy to read and culturally appropriate methods
• A valid Maine driver’s license and reliable transportation are necessary
• Competencies among successful applicants are expected to be consistent with those identified by the Public Health Foundation Council on Linkages as Level I
• Experience within local food systems, particularly as related to movement building
• Experience developing and delivering virtual events/trainings/webinars via Zoom
• Experience with event planning and fundraising
• Experience with facilitating meetings, trainings, work groups
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation.
This position offers a career path to growth and development within the organization. MCD and HCCA deeply value diversity, inclusiveness, empowerment, and collaboration.
Position: Professional level
Location: HCCA office in Gardiner, Maine
Projected start date: July 5, 2022
NOTE: All applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
MCD requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against Covid as a condition of employment, unless entitled to a medical or religious exemption. All offers of employment are contingent upon satisfaction of this requirement, and you will be required to show proof that you are fully vaccinated or have a valid religious or medical reason not to be vaccinated. Please do not provide information about whether you are seeking an exemption from the vaccination requirement unless and until you receive a conditional offer of employment from MCD.
To apply, please submit the following:
• Cover letter indicating the position for which you are applying
• Three Communications Samples (e.g. link to website that you created/maintain, copy of a newsletter or brochure you published, presentation slides, link to a blog you publish, etc.)
• Your salary expectations
Applications should be sent to email@example.com. Please reference position MCDPH-271 when submitting your application. Position is open until filled. Send all of the requested information to be considered. No phone calls please.
Medical Care Development, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Organization
Please reference position MCDPH-271 when submitting your application.